My Suitcase: Steamline [c/o] | Maxi’s Suitcase: Steamline [c/o] | Clothing Rack: PB Teen | Leopard Pillows: Little Design Co. | Blue Pillows: Little Design Co. [c/o] | Leopard X Bench: LivenUP Design [c/o] | Gray Jacket: Nordstrom | White Tank: Express, Similar | Jeans: AG | Shorts: Rag & Bone [size down] | Button Up: Rails | Bow Shoes [old] | Giraffe: Nordstrom | Espadrilles: Chanel, Similar
Photography by: Madison Katlin
It’s about that time of year that Paul and I start to get so excited about our summer trips! This year we are headed to the Broadmoor in Colorado. I think going to Seaside while 10 weeks pregnant has me on board for trips with a much more manageable climate! haha. Florida in July combined with morning sickness = too much heat!
I thought I’d share 10 little packing tips I try to follow in order to help me enjoy the most out of my wardrobe on a trip. Now I’m not always jet set nor am I a travel blogger, so by no means am I an expert! These are just normal gal tips and what I like to wear while traveling. I’d love to know any tips you follow when packing. 🙂 Besides, I thought this post would be the best excuse to photograph our matching mommy & me suitcases from Steamline Luggage!
- I always start going on Pinterest about 2 months before a big trip. I like to scroll through other outfits and get some inspiration for trends I may want to try. I think vacation is the PERFECT time to try something out of your comfort zone. If a big hat or bold print feels silly after you wear it, you won’t care one bit since you were on vacation and know no one there. 😉
- Once I pin a few looks, I’ll make a checklist of outfits for plans we make. For example, when Paul and I went on our honeymoon we were SO excited to go to Mama’s Fish House. I knew I wanted to wear a colorful, floral romper there and I added that to a list. This helps me shop for what I’m looking for as well as comb my closet for items I already have. If you’re low on an item for a trip like swimwear, you then have enough time to budget to purchase before you pack.
- When it comes to packing, roll your clothes! This helps tops not get as intense of wrinkles and helps take up less space.
- To keep my clothing fresh I will put some essential oil drops on cotton pads and put them in my suitcase.
- I always carry one big tote on my flight and then put my smaller bags inside of it so they don’t get damaged. If I do have to store a handbag in my suitcase I always stuff the bag with tissue to keep its shape and place it in its dust bag.
- In my carry on, I always bring one small makeup bag. I use this to store my chargers and my headphones. Once we get to a hotel I’m always wanting to charge my phone/camera or laptop. This way I keep all my chargers in one spot and I am not wasting time searching for them.
- If you are short on space while traveling, invest in accessories. A statement necklace or bold earrings can allow you to easily rewear items and create an entire new look. Bring a black romper and style it with delicate necklaces and simple makeup for one day, then throw on pink lipstick with a turquoise necklace for the next day. I always bring more accessories than I intend to when I pack so I can rewear clothing.
- If we are headed to a city like NYC or Chicago, I always bring one nice pair of black flats. I splurged on Chanel flats last year during fashion week and it was the best purchase! You don’t have to pack heels if you have a dressier pair of black flats. These flats go from day to night easily.
- I always try to wear jeans or some form of denim on a plane. You’ll rewear jeans or denim shorts all throughout your trip, so I don’t take up the space in my suitcase by packing them.
- Lastly, if I’m going on a longer trip I try to pack 80% neutrals. Not only can I rewear, but it allows me to mix and match what is in my suitcase. I always overpack when I go to the beach because I bring so many colorful dresses and rompers. Those don’t mix and match as well as a white blouse does, so I really try to stick to neutral clothing and let my accessories be bright.
What I Wear While Traveling
I like to revolve what I wear on a flight around my suitcase situation! Typically, I’ll wear denim a white tank and a jacket. I don’t want the denim to take up space in my suitcase, a white tank can be reworn on a trip and a jacket can be too heavy to pack! If I’m bringing chunky sandals on a trip and don’t have space, I’ll wear those, too! However, I typically wear espadrilles because you can easily take them on and off during security. If I’m headed somewhere warm I’ll wear denim shorts, a white tank and a chambray blouse. To me, travel wear is all about layering key wardrobe pieces so I can stretch a few extra looks out of what I packed.
I hope you all have the best weekend and thank you for spending some time on my blog today! Maxi has her baby dedication on Sunday and Paul and I feel so blessed to get to honor such a special day with our family.