Photography by: Angie Garcia
Happy Monday! Today is my mama’s birthday and I’m thrilled to spend the day celebrating her. She said she wanted today pretty relaxed but requested brunch and Sephora, so that is where we are off to!
Now that I’m a mom, I truly can’t put into words how much I appreciate my mom and all she does for our family. I’m the first one to say how blessed I am to work from home and be with my Maxi girl all day. But of course, my job requires meetings and a work trip here or there like most do. Last week I had my first long meeting day since I had her. I probably sound so silly even writing this, but I hadn’t been away from her that long yet and it was an emotional milestone. I was anxious about the day and cried on the way to a meeting. [I know, I know! But it was the first time and I know it’s hard for all mamas their first time gone for longer than a few hours!] My mom was so sweet about it! She sent me photos all day and then when I got home that evening she gave me a phone case from Shutterfly with Maxi’s photo on it. She said I needed it for my meetings so I could just look down and see her face. Is that not so thoughtful?! I know that is such a small example of my mom’s kindness, but I had to share today in honor of her birthday.
But speaking of work meetings, let’s talk workwear! While many fields are formal business attire, a lot of fields are so casual you can seamlessly blend your workwear with your weekend wear. I purchased this navy top from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale and thought it fit just that! I can pair this with a skirt or ankle pants for work and white jeans with flats for the weekend. I just paired my favorite $12 cami underneath it. This top has sold out a few times, but they just restocked so hopefully you can snag a size left if you are a fan!
If you need a few workwear options that can also be worn outside of work, here are my top 10 picks from the sale!
- Long Cardigan, $49. We all need a cardigan to leave at the office. When I worked in PR our office was always freezing! This light, open-front cardigan comes in a ton of different shades and can be worn over your dress easily.
- Pumps, $79. Work pumps need to be smart, stylish and comfortable. Block-heels are normally a bit more casual but these Louis Et Cie pumps prove that these can be meeting appropriate. These would also look great paired with boyfriend jeans for the weekend.
- Rebecca Taylor Skirt, $263. This is a bit of a splurge, but it’s so worth it in my opinion. Pair it with a chambray top for Thanksgiving or a white-button up for the office. It’s a capsule wardrobe item that lasts for ages!
- J.Crew Regent Blazer, $147. This is my favorite blazer for work and play. I have it in camel and love to wear it with jeans on the weekends.
- Skinny Pants, $58. These are some of my favorite work pants and you can easily wear them with booties on the weekend in the fall. I like that they are slender because if you wear a peplum top or something with volume it is balanced out.
- Pleat Top, $45. If you teach, I would pick up this top! All of my girlfriends who are teachers tell me how it’s hard to find a balance between a professional top that you can also get on the ground and tie a kid’s shoe in. I think this top really strikes that balance and is under $50!
- Bell-Sleeve Top, $45. If you work in the creative industry, this top is calling your name! I would pair it with a pencil skirt and pointy-toe heels. I plan on picking this top up as well.
- A-Line Skirt, $52. From church to the office, every girl needs an a-line skirt in their wardrobe. These are generally known as the most flattering skirts for each body type.
- Tory Burch Frida Tote, $349. Finding a tote that you’d want to take to the office and shopping can sometimes be more difficult than you’d think. Work wardrobes can feel like half the time you compromise for functionality or price with style. Don’t even get me started on a compromise rant. We furniture shopped this weekend. Everything beautiful is going to stain and everything that won’t stain…well… just isn’t beautiful to me! haha. But back to the point, this tote provides functionality, beauty and a good price for a designer bag. It comes in a blush-hue and black and is normally $528.
- Cardigan, $49. Let’s clear the air…cardigans generally aren’t fun to purchase. I mean sometimes when I hit the jackpot at J.Crew and score a pretty hue, I’m thrilled! But I never get that excited about purchasing them. It’s like buying paper towels. Not the best excuse to go to Target, but it’s a pain when you don’t have them! Generally, cardigans are a necessity for most offices and I keep one in the back of my car for freezing restaurants or cold meetings. While the first cardigan mentioned in this post is great for fall, this is one you can wear in the spring! They come in a ton of shades, so I definitely would add this to your shopping list if you’re building a business casual wardrobe. Keep one in the back of your car for the weekend and you’ll be shocked at how many times you use it while out and about!
Did you pick up any workwear with the sale?!