Photography by: Madison Katlin
Ending beauty week with my favorite beauty products of 2017! This was such a fun post to put together because I kept a little basket in my bathroom and when I would use a product each day I would place it in the basket. The moment I stopped using the product I put it away. It was an easy way to see what I consistently reach for vs. what I use for special occasions. And honestly, if you’re purging it’s a great tactic to see what you can get rid of! Everything can be purchased at Nordstrom and if you have any other questions about them, feel free to leave a comment below!
- Favorite Palette: The Sigma Warm Neutrals Volume II was my most loved palette last year. Minus the “rogue” shade [I’m too fair for it!] I have dug into each and every pan. So many palettes leave me with 4 or 5 unused colors, but this one gives me at least 7 different eye makeup looks. What impresses me most is that the matte shades and the shimmer shades both have amazing texture. Many times shimmers are easy to work with, but the mattes can be horrible when it comes to application. These matte shades are buttery and I love it. I normally use “Toasty” as my base or my crease color. “Humble” and “Charmer” for my brow and “Iconic“, “After Hours” or “Russet” to smoke my crease. When I’m pressed for time, I’ll put “After Hours” all over my lid and then dab “Bittersweet” in the center for some depth. For work meetings or church, I’ll apply “Passion Fruit” all over the lid and smudge “Russet” on my lash line.
- Favorite Bronzer: This is the most “new” product on the list and came as a recommendation from you all. Y’all have just given me an expensive habit because now that I’ve tried this I don’t want to work with a different bronzer. This is the Tom Ford Bronzer and it doesn’t catch, it applies evenly and looks natural while giving you a good amount of pigmented color. I received a gift card and naturally, it was burning a hole in my pocket. When I went to twitter to ask y’all what to get, most everyone raved about this bronzer. Everyone said it lasts a year +, so it was a really nice treat to get with a gift card! I got shade: Terra.
- Favorite Blush: MAC Blush in Warm Soul was my favorite blush of 2017 and it’s the blush I’m using currently. I’ve purchased this shade numerous times over the year and it works best for my skin tone.
- Favorite Body Product: Supermodel Body Slimmer Shimmer Shape, Hydrate & Glow was my favorite body product of 2017. I went to a blog conference when Maxi was about 2 months old. I felt like a hot mess, I blame the hormones. I cried while packing because I just wanted to stay home in my pajamas and not get dressed up. I was still healing from giving birth, I was pumping around the clock in order to sit in on my meetings and be away from her for an hour or two and I was too tired to see straight. I saw people rave about this glow lotion on Instagram one night while pumping and didn’t even care about the price tag. I thought, “If it makes me feel better, why not?!” I overnighted it and took it with me to the conference. This is a contour product that you glide on your arms/legs/anywhere you want it! You glow all over and it makes your skin in photos [I was shooting a lot at the conference] look gorgeous. I know it’s silly that I would say a small product helped, but it was something that just made me feel a little better. I think if you’ve ever given birth you know how something like that can just give you an extra boost of confidence! I was like, “I haven’t slept in 2 months, I have dark circles, my hair is falling out, my clothes don’t fit, but look at my glowing legs, people! Look at my glowing legs!” haha! I know this sounds like quite a dramatic story about a product, but it really is the basis of why I love sharing things that work for me. Life is so much more about frivolous finds, but if something as small as a lotion can help a woman feel better for 5 seconds when she has a lot on her plate, I want to be part of that process!
- Favorite Lip Pencil: I think MAC Soar would have been my most used and loved lip pencil of 2017! It’s a nice pinky-plum for my skin tone. I’ll apply it as liner or all over my lip and top with gloss. I normally pair it with Stila Perla.
- Favorite Foundation: I’m currently out of this foundation and everything seems poor in comparison. I don’t want to repurchase until I’ve used what I have left in my makeup bag [trying to follow that budget 😉 ] but every day I’m like, “Why did I ever think this foundation was good?!” The Charlotte Tilbury Magic Skin Foundation definitely spoiled me and now nothing compares. I am shade #3 and I’m not kidding you when I say my friends that are makeup artists always ask if I did airbrush foundation when they see me in this.
- Favorite Highlight: RMS Beauty is a new line I tried last year. Nordstrom carries them and as I was learning about natural beauty products, I tried a lot from the line. This is my favorite product from RMS and I force all my friends to try it. I dip a dampened beautyblender in the quad and apply it where you would apply your normal highlight. I mix all the shades, but I do love the darker shade as an eyeshadow when I’m doing a natural look. This makes me look wide awake, too!
- Favorite Primer: This is another product I got spoiled with last year! It’s a pricier product, but I just use the tiniest amount and it has really lasted. It doesn’t matter if my skin is peeling or I have a blemish, it works so well with my foundation to make my skin look better. This Sisley Primer gives you a glow, but what always surprises me is I’ll think I need to use concealer, then I’ll use this with my foundation and won’t have to apply it. Since using this, I rarely touch my concealer and I like that!
- Favorite Contour: The Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Sticks were what I picked up during the Nordstrom Fall Beauty event! I got the highlight and contour, but the contour was my favorite! You apply it as you would normally apply contour, then I take a damp beauty blender and “blend up” [you don’t blend down or it sags your face] and it’s gives you great definition while being more natural.
- Favorite Lip Gloss: This isn’t necessarily a lipgloss, it is a lip “topper.” This is by Jouer in the shade: Skinny Dip. I put it in the center of my pout no matter what lipstick I’m wearing and it just always looks better. I can’t even figure out how it does that, but it’s a little magical. Don’t apply this like a full gloss or you’ll think it is very glittery. Just a dab in the center of your pout, rub together and you’re done!
- Favorite Lipstick: Y’all know Stila Perla is my most loved lipstick. I went through 6 tubes last year! I keep one in my purse, one in my makeup bag and one in my diaper bag at all times! Maxi loves to hide my liquid lipsticks too so I always find this around the house.
Now I want to hear from you! What were your favorite beauty products of 2017?! If I need to make a run and purchase some foundation I might as well test out what y’all found. 😉
In partnership with Nordstrom. All purchases and opinions are my own!