Lunch Box : Kate Spade | Photography by: Angie Garcia
Last year I bought quite the life changing product: a lunch box. I’d find myself running errands with Maxi in the afternoon and get hungry. I rarely every go through a drive through, even a Starbucks’ one. I just hate spending money on that! But I’d get so hungry running errands that I would either go through one or I’d get home and eat whatever I could grab and it normally wasn’t healthy. Most snacks I eat are refrigerated, so I decided to grab a lunch box so I could keep colder snacks in my car, avoid spending money at Starbucks and eat healthier.
This seems like such a small change, but I’m now a lunchbox snob and will forever have one! Before we leave home in the afternoon I’ll throw this in the car. I may only toss a sparkling water there, but this has cut down my Diet Coke addiction by a landslide. I don’t even remember the last time I got a Diet Coke?! I also never used to like sweets before I got pregnant and then I craved cookies with Maxi daily. That never really stopped while I was nursing and now I still always want some form of chocolate. However, I’ve found by having snacks in the car with me I never really get to the point of wanting a sweet because I don’t let my blood sugar drop like that. I realized so much of what I crave simply stems from going too long between meals out of being busy.
- Kombucha: I have been drinking Kombucha for years and love it. You definitely want to check the sugar content [this one has a bit more sugar but it was their seasonal flavor so who am I to turn it down?!]. It’s a fermented tea drink and if you like soda, I 100% think you’ll like this. You know when people tell you La Croix can replace soda and you’re like, “Ummm in what universe?!” [I do LOVE La Croix, but it’s not that flavorful.] Kombucha really is flavor filled and it has a ton of health benefits. It’s filled with probiotics, helps support a healthy gut, prevents diseases, is antibacterial and helps support your lungs and liver. I did not drink this while pregnant or nursing, but I do now. Also check your serving sizes because there are usually 2 in one jar. If you’re looking for the healthiest option, make sure they don’t have more than 4 grams of sugar per serving. Typically the “ginger” flavors are going to be your best bet when it comes to sugar! This one is a great option!
- Oh Snap Dilly Bites: I get these at Target and I’m addicted. It’s a great crunchy snack to keep on hand. I usually eat these while working because I can slowly snack and keep my mind occupied if I’m craving sweets.
- Spindrift: I was a little late to the Spindrift craze. I rarely leave the house without one because if I want a flavored drink that’s easier to sip on than Kombucha, this is it! Kombucha is more filling, while this is like drinking a sparkling water that has a ton of flavor! This does have some juice in it, so that’s what is going to make it different from your regular sparkling water.
- Perfect Bar: I’m really weird about protein bars because I don’t like popular ones like rx bars. Everyone I know has 68 rx bars on hand at all times and I can’t stomach them! However, I love Perfect Bars. These do have to be refrigerated so that’s another way I use my lunch box. They truly taste really indulgent to me and don’t remind me of a protein bar at all. Don’t quote me on this, but I may be crazy and think they have a very cookie dough texture!
- Justin Nut Butters: I think I’ve talked about Justin’s Nut Butters on my blog for years, but the obsession lives on. My husband and mom throw 500 in my stocking because I live off these. They go in my diaper bag, my purse, my lunch box, you name it, I’m never without it.
I have to be SO careful with my snacks because if I don’t choose healthier options, you don’t even want to know what I would eat. Party burritos anyone?! Can a girl get some Ruffles chips?! Do you take snacks with you throughout the day?! What are your favorites?
I love Justin’s butters! They’re so expensive where I live, though. Still dreaming of the cheap little bite-sized packets I got back in London… 😉
Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
Absolutely love this!! I’m on whole 30 and I’m allowed to eat rx bars but I don’t think they taste that great either! I think I’ll try the almond butter packet????
At work I have a whole snack drawer but I’m trying to fill it less sugar and more filling snacks. I usually take a smoothie and fruit with me for the day which helps.
When I’m not at work I’m not good at taking snacks with me. It’s hard to keep stuff in the car this time of year but they get smashed in my purse. A lunch bag might help.
I would love to find a protein bar/snack that isn’t made of tree nuts. I have an allergy to all nuts except peanuts (weird I know!) so it makes it tough. I’m def going to look into the snacks you listed! Maybe I’ll finally try Kombucha! 🙂
I love all of your options (and your cute lunchbox!!) but I’m usually not one to take snacks to work with me. However, if I go for a run in the evening my favorite snack pre-run is rice cake, nut butter, and either honey or maple syrup on top. It increases my blood sugar and really helps my body get through those long workouts.
Ellen | A Pinch of Serendipity
Weird question, but do those pickles make your hands smell? I cannot eat food on the run that leaves a smell behind. I do everything I can to even avoid touching my food LOL. Btw target has adorable flower lunch boxes right now!!
Hi Amber! I haven’t ever noticed, but I will say the pickles aren’t very “vinegar-y” if that makes sense! I always wash my hands after so I can’t tell! haha.
I am obsessed with the Perfect peanut butter chocolate chip bar. It does tastes like cookie dough to me and is my frequent splurge for something sweet!
I’m really curious to how much that lunch box holds…I’ve seen in online but never in person. I need something to pack my lunch containers flat (so they don’t leak). Great post!
Hi Lexi! I don’t know if this one is wide enough to do that! 🙁 xo
I am so glad I read this post! I have such such a hard time finding snacks that I like AND are healthy. Thanks for sharing!