Last year I bought quite the life changing product: a lunch box. I’d find myself running errands with Maxi in the afternoon and get hungry. I rarely every go through a drive through, even a Starbucks’ one. I just hate spending money on that! But I’d get so hungry running errands that I would either go through one or I’d get home and eat whatever I could grab and it normally wasn’t healthy. Most snacks I eat are refrigerated, so I decided to grab a lunch box so I could keep colder snacks in my car, avoid spending money at Starbucks and eat healthier.
This seems like such a small change, but I’m now a lunchbox snob and will forever have one! Before we leave home in the afternoon I’ll throw this in the car. I may only toss a sparkling water there, but this has cut down my Diet Coke addiction by a landslide. I don’t even remember the last time I got a Diet Coke?! I also never used to like sweets before I got pregnant and then I craved cookies with Maxi daily. That never really stopped while I was nursing and now I still always want some form of chocolate. However, I’ve found by having snacks in the car with me I never really get to the point of wanting a sweet because I don’t let my blood sugar drop like that. I realized so much of what I crave simply stems from going too long between meals out of being busy.
- Kombucha: I have been drinking Kombucha for years and love it. You definitely want to check the sugar content [this one has a bit more sugar but it was their seasonal flavor so who am I to turn it down?!]. It’s a fermented tea drink and if you like soda, I 100% think you’ll like this. You know when people tell you La Croix can replace soda and you’re like, “Ummm in what universe?!” [I do LOVE La Croix, but it’s not that flavorful.] Kombucha really is flavor filled and it has a ton of health benefits. It’s filled with probiotics, helps support a healthy gut, prevents diseases, is antibacterial and helps support your lungs and liver. I did not drink this while pregnant or nursing, but I do now. Also check your serving sizes because there are usually 2 in one jar. If you’re looking for the healthiest option, make sure they don’t have more than 4 grams of sugar per serving. Typically the “ginger” flavors are going to be your best bet when it comes to sugar! This one is a great option!
- Oh Snap Dilly Bites: I get these at Target and I’m addicted. It’s a great crunchy snack to keep on hand. I usually eat these while working because I can slowly snack and keep my mind occupied if I’m craving sweets.
- Spindrift: I was a little late to the Spindrift craze. I rarely leave the house without one because if I want a flavored drink that’s easier to sip on than Kombucha, this is it! Kombucha is more filling, while this is like drinking a sparkling water that has a ton of flavor! This does have some juice in it, so that’s what is going to make it different from your regular sparkling water.
- Perfect Bar: I’m really weird about protein bars because I don’t like popular ones like rx bars. Everyone I know has 68 rx bars on hand at all times and I can’t stomach them! However, I love Perfect Bars. These do have to be refrigerated so that’s another way I use my lunch box. They truly taste really indulgent to me and don’t remind me of a protein bar at all. Don’t quote me on this, but I may be crazy and think they have a very cookie dough texture!
- Justin Nut Butters: I think I’ve talked about Justin’s Nut Butters on my blog for years, but the obsession lives on. My husband and mom throw 500 in my stocking because I live off these. They go in my diaper bag, my purse, my lunch box, you name it, I’m never without it.
I have to be SO careful with my snacks because if I don’t choose healthier options, you don’t even want to know what I would eat. Party burritos anyone?! Can a girl get some Ruffles chips?! Do you take snacks with you throughout the day?! What are your favorites?