If there is one thing I have gotten a little obsessive with the past year, it would be skin.
To give myself the benefit of the doubt we can just say in college I was lazy. I was always pulling all nighters studying and when I took care of my skin I’d just steal whatever my suite mates had in the sorority house bathroom.
Now that I’m responsible for buying my own makeup remover I’ve gotten really into finding what works and what doesn’t work. I have to be pretty careful because my skin is hypersensitive with my autoimmune disorder. Anything that upsets my skin and it peels. Seriously. One bad moisturizer and I look like post Cabo having forgotten SPF.
I wanted to share my must haves because I know so many of us do have sensitive skin and I have been the guinea pig for you. I’m also at the awkward age where I can’t skip taking my makeup off or I’ll break out but I’ve also had some lovely retinal experiences trying to prevent wrinkles…So whatever age you are at, I figured I’d have something in my beauty routine to help!
I’d also like to give a disclaimer that I know some of these products are a bit on the expensive side. I love to switch out with drugstore products [I posted about an Olay moisturizer I love on Instagram!] at night. These are just the staples I really don’t stray from because I know they don’t affect my skin. With an autoimmune disorder I’m really fine saving money in other places so that I can have these, otherwise I deal with skin problems and LOTS of doctor appointments. I really suggest spending money on serums and “treatments” and then you can typically get away with less expensive face wash, etc. If you happen to have RA or Lupus and want to know any other treatments I use feel free to e-mail me and I can share all the natural remedies my mom and I love!
1. Clarisonic: This is a must have. If the rest of this list went away, I at least have to have this. Whether you are struggling with blemishes or fine lines the exfoliation it provides is key to combating all your issues. My skin peels a lot with my autoimmune and this keeps it all away!
2. Cleansing Milk: My skin is sensitive and peels and gets dry, but I’m also a human being that can break out. [My mom never has, she is an alien…] Stray from the drying cleansers! Stray! It is so hard on your skin and your fine lines will show up so much more quickly. I love cleansing milk washes because it won’t lead to other break outs and this one smells amazing while giving your skin an “I got a spray tan three days ago” glow.
3. Cleansing Balm: I’m a big believer in washing your face twice, but using products that don’t dry out! I’m in Dallas, we don’t do just two coats of mascara, and cleaning my face for 30 seconds won’t “just” get it off. I’ve tried lots of different oil cleansers and this is my favorite! It gets EVERY little coat of mascara off and doesn’t pull your lashes out.
4. Concealer: This concealer has kept my sanity over the years. From my mom’s RA rashes to under eye circles, this is the stuff heaven is made of. It’s also the price of my entire right hand. However, I use mine religiously and have had my stick for the past year and I still haven’t run out of product. They pack so much in!
5. Day Moisturizer: I’m probably really backwards because I stick with a certain day moisturizer and love to play around at night with new products. Caudalie is one of the only products that never hurts my skin, so I’m always safe getting anything they have. I know they aren’t cheap, so out of everything Caudalie I have, this is my favorite. It has some concoction in it that perfects your skin and allows you to run around sans makeup feeling great.
6. Argan Oil: I put this on fine lines and my neck every day. Don’t forget your neck! It shows damage first!
7. Highlighter: This is the only product that gives me the contoured look. It gives your under eyes a natural glow while covering up your lack of sleep.
8. Makeup Brush Cleanser : Maybe I’m really bad at washing my makeup brushes, but cleansers and sprays always leave residue. It drives me mad. This one leaves nothing, and is so great when you don’t have time to do a “full” cleansing.
9. NutraLuxe Lash: My mother has the world’s longest lashes and thankfully, she made me. So when this whole lash serum nonsense came about a few years ago I was just like, “Oh, that’s weird. Who would buy that?” One of my friends had this lash serum and her lashes were so thick. Like I asked to touch them thick…I got a tube a few months ago and I may be too tired to take my vitamins at night, but I don’t forget this.
10. By Terry Rose Balm: This product is ridiculous, but if you go through a break up, have a bad day or just want to treat yourself because you’re amazing this is the product to do it with. My lips haven’t been chapped in ages, but most importantly, the look it gives your lips is something I’ve never been able to find a lipstick or gloss to be able to do. You get that Victoria Secret model pout with the perfect pinky, nude glow.