Bag Review: Prada Saffiano Double-Handle Tote Bag

_MG_0078 _MG_0080 _MG_0081 _MG_0084 _MG_0088 _MG_0089-2 _MG_0096 _MG_0101 _MG_0102

Shop3

Bag: Prada Saffiano Double-Handle Tote | Leopard Pillow: Arianna Belle | Bag Contents: Down Below

Photography by: Angie Garcia


After the blog conference I attended a few week ago, I came home realizing I really wanted to invest in a work-friendly bag. I had the Chloé Faye on my mind for summer, but shifted gears. I realized I didn’t have anything that could comfortably fit a laptop, documents and my camera, so I thought I needed to make a more wise purchase!

We all like to invest in different things and budgets are all relative, but I thought it would be fun to share a bag review. Because while preferences about splurges may differ, I thought this might help for girls having questions about this handbag!

After carrying this bag for almost a month, I have to say it is one of my favorites! The structure is incredible, but I love how it cleans up any look I have on. I could have on workout clothes grocery shopping and this bag helps me feel like I’m so put together I could go strut into a party. Is this what we call a false sense of confidence?! I felt so comfortable reviewing this bag because I had to sit and think for 15 minutes about any “cons” that it even had!

Bag: Prada Saffiano Double-Handle Tote

I purchased this bag from Neiman Marcus in the Cannela shade. I went with the smaller version because when I reached for the executive size the sales associate really steered me away. I’m 5’3″ and she thought it would be too large and that it really worked better for travel.

Ideal For:

I think this bag is really ideal for the classic working girl. It fits everything from a laptop to a camera and I always feel pulled together when I pair it with a look. It’s mature, without feeling stiff. For example, I think some investment bags just look better on your arm as you age. It’s really ageless, but allows me to feel even more ladylike.

Pros: 

1.Durable Leather

I have had one too many bags scratch or have color transfer. I really try to not get upset, because it’s a material item! At the end of the day, it just doesn’t matter! But I do get upset at myself when I purchase a bag that has sensitive leather because I feel like I should have known better. This leather is so durable, doesn’t scratch and I haven’t experienced any color transfer. This leather allows for the bag to have incredible structure, so I’m not having to use a bag shaper when I’m not carrying it!

2.Great for Work

My main objective for this bag was something incredibly work appropriate. This has an attachable strap so you can carry it on your shoulder if you have to walk to your office and you don’t want it in the crook of you arm.

3.Fits More Than Expected

This isn’t a slouchy tote, but it fits much more than expected. My biggest worry with getting the smaller size was regretting the amount of items I could fit. But after a weekend trip, plenty of work meetings and road trips, I can easily say this fits everything from numbers water bottles to my DSLR.

Cons:

1.Difficult Zipper

The zipper on the inside [where the authenticity card is] is difficult to open and close. However, there are inner pockets so I don’t ever open it. But if you wanted to, that might be frustrating.

2.Price

Sadly, most designer bags do increase in price as the years go on. While that can make you feel more comfortable about the decision you’re making [you aren’t losing value!] it is really something to consider!

3.Not Edgy

If you’re really edgy, this may not be the bag for you. Not to say you couldn’t style it that way, this just fits a more classic style, so you may not feel true to your personal taste.

Alternatives:

I like to ask myself a question with any choice I make pertaining to my wallet.

“Is this wise?”

As stated above, wise money choices are all relative. What is wise for one isn’t wise for another and what is wise one month may not be wise the next. I like to ask myself a few questions before investing in items to make sure I’m being wise. These questions aren’t necessarily “budgeting” questions. I set aside money to save up for purchases like this, but I do like to take it one step further to make sure I am not being rash.

1.Is this celebrating something?

  If I wait to accomplish a specific goal, or am personally celebrating something I think that’s a great time to invest. As long as I have tithed, saved, invested and saved for this purchase, the celebration aspect makes it even sweeter. I’ll always remember the goal, moment or accomplishment that led to this purchase.

2.Do I have something similar?

This can be so hard to not fall to! When I love a specific bag, sometimes I think it’s great to get something similar so I know I’ll like it! But being younger and building a wardrobe, I try my best to not duplicate. I didn’t have anything like the structure of the Prada Saffiano or color, so I knew it would be different.

3.Is this an emotional purchase?

I make investment purchases by myself. If I’m with girlfriends shopping I may be giddy from spending time with them and make a purchase because they agree with a bag I’m looking at.

This isn’t to say, don’t go buy a bag after a breakup! In fact, I’d be the friend telling you that you need a new sidekick, so if you’ve saved, go for it! I personally just like to make those investment decisions by myself because they are a big deal and it’s your bag.

I like to be by myself [or with Paul], go look at a bag, get a coffee, walk the mall a bit more and then if I still think today is the day, I go get it. It can be easy to get caught up in other’s opinions [positive or negative] and base a decision off of that. If you want a specific bag and you’ve done the work for it, a girlfriend saying she hates it shouldn’t lead you to a different bag.

If you find that this bag isn’t the one and it isn’t a wise choice for you, here are a few similar ones I love that give you the structure and shade!

What’s In My Bag

Sunglasses: Quay

Sunglass Case: Henri Bendel [old]

Ring Holder: Henri Bendel [great for travel or using lotion!] [c/o]

Goyard Pouch: I use for my checkbook

LV Wallet: Keeks

Phone Case: iPhone 6, iPhone 6+

Passport Holder: Graphic Image

Small Planner: Graphic Image

Card Holders: LV & Prada

Lip Products: Sugar Lip Balm, Anastasia Liquid Lipstick in Milkshake, Marc Jacobs Gloss in Moonglow, Nars Gloss

Makeup Bag: LV

I hope this review answered any questions you may have had about this bag! It’s truly one of my favorites!

XOXOKatey-2

Leave a Note

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

29 Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing Katey! This bag is on my wish list and it was great to hear details about its every day use!

    Xo,
    Leah
    https://thesuburbanista.co/

    Published 02 May 16Reply
  2. Kelly K wrote:

    LOVE that bag and all your Louis accessories!

    http://www.rosyoutlookblog.com

    Published 02 May 16Reply
  3. Sam wrote:

    I debated between this bag and the Saint Laurent Sac Du Jour for months. I finally settled on the Saint Laurent with the gained leather for durability for work and travel… after numerous trips to Highland Park Village to scout out both bags but I think a small Prada might be on my next investment list.

    Published 02 May 16Reply
    • Same here. I bought the Sac Du Jour as well–but the one major con is that it doesn’t zip which makes it a huge pain on airplanes. I normally just put my YSL in my big carry on and use the Henri Bendel Uptown Satchel for flights… nothing escapes that baby!

      Published 02 May 16Reply
  4. I’m in the market for a bag to hold my DSLR, laptop and/or iPad, so I really appreciate this review and post! I defiantly agree with you about budgeting for what you purchase as long as you tithe, save, etc… We also do the Dave Ramsey system and love it! Keep up the great content!

    Published 02 May 16Reply
  5. Morgan wrote:

    Totally agree with the shopping by yourself when making an investment purchase! When that much money is in question it should really only be you ((and your husband if you have one))! I also love that you mentioned setting a goal for yourself to reach before purchasing .. great idea!

    -Morgan
    How 2 Wear It [] http://how2wearit.com

    Published 02 May 16Reply
  6. Veronica wrote:

    Great post Katey!! So timely 🙂 I have been looking for a bag similar to this for a few weeks now, a work bag/purse/big enough to fit everything/but still make you feel so chic 🙂
    I recently accepted a position at a new agency and I am so excited to be changing jobs next week!! I have been looking at the Kate Spade totes for something more structured, but also pretty, and can still be worn as a purse but I am LOVING this Prada as well. Do you have any experience with Kate Spade totes? This will be a huge investment for me so wanting to make sure I make the right choice 🙂

    Thank you!!! Happy Monday 🙂

    xoxo,
    Veronica

    Published 02 May 16Reply
  7. Kathryn wrote:

    This sounds like such a fab bag to carry for the ‘on-the-go’ woman. Love this classic look.

    xx Kathryn
    http://www.chicandshimmer.com

    Published 02 May 16Reply
  8. Ashley wrote:

    Katey, I love reading your blog and look forward to your fresh photography and fun ideas each morning. However, I just wanted to let you know that you’ve been having multiple spelling and grammar mistakes in your posts. I envy people like you who can support themselves from their blog, but not proofreading your posts and ensuring that every word is correct is just unprofessional and off-putting. I’m not trying to be rude, just want to point it out so you can improve!

    Published 02 May 16Reply
    • Katey wrote:

      Hi Ashley!

      Thanks so much for your comment! My husband and I do proofread every post, but as imperfect humans I know we might miss things here or there! I’m definitely trying to juggle my blog, e-mails and doing everything “myself” as opposed to hiring an assistant to help with e-mails. Maybe this means I need to go ahead and allow someone to help me.

      I appreciate you following along! Always feel free to e-mail me if you think something should be addressed.

      xo,

      Katey

      Published 02 May 16Reply
  9. I went to the Prada store so I could see the Saffiano Double Zip in person and I loved it! Definitely a sturdy bag that will last forever. I’m looking into the Cammeo color 🙂

    BlondieInTheCity.com

    Published 02 May 16Reply
  10. Nancy wrote:

    I have this bag in a different colour and mine is larger. I bought it 4 1/2 years ago and I still LOVE it… Never regretted it!! The only thing is after 4 1/2 the structure is collapsing and is not stiff like it was it was new. It’s a great bag very stylish!

    I hope you enjoy using it!

    Published 02 May 16Reply
  11. that bag is so gorgeous!!! XO

    @stylemelauren
    http://www.stylemelauren.com

    Published 02 May 16Reply
  12. Love this review! I have really been wanting to purchase a prada bag. So I am beyond happy to hear about some of the pros and cons of this one. Also cannot get over how cute that ring holder is. I will absolutely be purchasing that ASAP.

    xo Laura Leigh
    http://www.louellareese.com

    Published 03 May 16Reply
  13. I have been lusting after this bag for awhile, and I really enjoyed your review! This bag seems not only classic and chic, but also functional #sold

    Published 10 May 16Reply
  14. Olivia wrote:

    I LOVE your point about being with you friends. I am definitely guilty of being with friends and getting caught up in the moment. I really try to put it on hold for the entire day, then go back first thing in the morning if I am still thinking about it.

    You mentioned a bag shaper, would you share which one you use? I recently got a Goyard tote and It is just all over the place! I don’t want it to get wrinkly so any tips would be appreciated.

    Also, the girl who commented about the grammar needs to cool it, this post was great and error free from my humble point of view

    Published 18 May 16Reply
  15. Kate wrote:

    I LOVE your cushions. Where are the other two from?

    Published 19 Oct 16Reply
  16. Lara wrote:

    Does it bother you that it’s open top? I’ve been looking at this bag for a month now, but can’t make up my mind because of the open top. In case it rains, or if I travel and need to put it in the overhead compartment or under my seat, and because I don’t want the top open showing the world what’s in my bag. Any comments on this aspect would be greatly appreciated. I’ve come to really like this one and the galleria bag (other than size I don’t see a difference between these but please tell me if not). How do you like the quality now? Any issues with the zippers, leather cracking, gold tone parts getting scratched or bag losing shape? Thank you!

    Published 30 Oct 17Reply
    • Katey wrote:

      Hi Lara!

      I prefer open top bags just because I hate to deal with closing and shutting them! I’ve not had any issues with wear on this bag, however with my Prada Saffiano Cuir bag I have. Not noticing any quality difference with this one. Only thing I could think is I maybe with I got this bag in gray or black! I hope this helps!

      xo

      Published 30 Oct 17Reply
      • Lara wrote:

        Thank you!!!

        Published 12 Nov 17Reply
  17. Risa Silverman wrote:

    I just bought the medium Galleria in blanco, love this bag, I love a structured bag, such a classic look.

    I love the color of your bag

    Published 17 Mar 19Reply
  18. Romeo Villasenor wrote:

    Just stumbled upon this review hoping to buy a 40th birthday gift for my fiancée. I see a laptop in the pic, may I know what size laptop this is? Would you still recommend the small version of this purse? She’s about 5’0 and I’m looking to purchase a business type bag for her that can fit her laptop. Any suggestions?

    Published 07 Aug 19Reply
    • Katey wrote:

      Hi Romeo! My laptop is a 13″ so on the smaller size! I definitely would still recommend. I hope that helps!

      Published 08 Aug 19Reply