As we dive into home and organization posts this week, I knew I wanted to talk about how I organize inside my handbags. I appreciate my handbag being organized in a way that should honestly embarrass me. You know how some men live by, “Happy wife, happy life?” Well, I’ve got a mantra like that. But with organization. I’ve somehow convinced myself I think 100% more clearly when things are where they should be.
My organization system is contingent upon the type of handbag I’m carrying. If I’m carrying my diaper bag, I keep “my” items in a small makeup bag our pouch. If I’m carrying my Gucci Marmont or other cross body, my rule is to not have free-floating items minus my phone and keys. Everything needs a “pouch” like my checkbook holder and makeup bag. If I’m carrying a tote, I use my handbag organizer which I will share below. However, the easiest bag for me to keep organized is most definitely a satchel bag. I broke down my satchel bag because I think the shape of a satchel bag is the most versatile no matter your lifestyle.
You can see I really try to not keep any items “free floating” as I find that creates the most clutter and leads to me tossing trash in my bag. Receipts, coins, lip balm all need a place in my book.
- Handbag: This is the Hayden Satchel by Gigi New York. I purchased this during their Cyber Monday sale and it hasn’t disappointed! Gigi New York is a great line if you’re wanting to find more approachable designer handbags under $600. If you also are a fan of the Proenza Schouler PS1 style, this is a really similar structure. This bag has an adjustable shoulder strap if you prefer that while walking and it also has a monogram option I went with. Because this bag is so structured I do not use my handbag organizer in it. I prefer to use that in something a bit more loose like a tote.
- Makeup Bag: I purchased this LV makeup bag years ago when this print was being discontinued. A YouTuber I was watching said she loved the shape of these makeup bags because you could really transfer whatever you needed in and out of bags with it. I agree! This is what I use when I use my diaper bag and I just keep my card holder, keys and lip balm in it. For being a compact cosmetic case, it fits a lot which I appreciate! I love this Ted Baker one that comes in a fun print with a similar size.
- Lip Products & Perfume: I always keep a perfume sample or travel rollerball in my purse! Right now I’m using YSL Black Opium which is one of my favorites. My mom usually puts a travel rollerball or two in our stockings and they last me the entire year. For lip products I love Beautycounter lip balm, Chanel #5 lipliner, Stila Perla and Jouer Skinny Dip Lip Topper.
- Key Ring: I actually shot this post before Christmas and borrowed my mom’s Mark & Graham Pompom Keychain for the shoot. My friend Lindsey gave me the greatest little key ring for Christmas that I shared on Insta Stories. She gifted me this gold confetti “o” ring and it slips on your wrist while you’re running errands. It’s such a good gift for a mommy to be because I can carry Maxi and hold my keys easily when we are running errands. I already gave my friend one because it’s probably my most used gift from the holidays!
- L’ORÉAL Infallible Pro Glow Powder: I love this powder for touch-ups because it isn’t drying. I don’t have oily skin so I hate when powder does make my skin look really dry and it accentuates any fine lines or blemishes. This powder is really soft and I use it when I get those pesky little marks on my nose from my sunglasses.
- Snacks: I keep the Larabar Minis in my purse or diaper bag at all times! They are the perfect size for a really quick snack when you’re waiting somewhere and only have a minute to munch on something. I also like that if we are driving and I’m starving I can eat this without spoiling a meal like a regular-sized bar might!
- Stress Away Oil: I keep the Young Living Stress Away oil in my purse for busy days. I always feel pulled in a million different directions and when I feel really flustered I just roll it on my wrists and take 30 minutes to be intentional with my breathing and calm myself. I honestly think it works really well.
- Budget Binder Pouch: I received a few questions in regards to how I run errands with my budget binder. If I am carrying a large tote like my LV Neverfull then I just toss it in there. If I am carrying a satchel or diaper bag, I use a little pouch and put in a gift card or envelope cash I might need. I could easily put this in my wallet but I like to keep it separate that way I’m not tempted to grab my debit card for a coffee.
- Wallet: I carry the LV Victorine Wallet and I feel so torn on it! I LOVE the size and think it’s amazing for constantly swapping bags. However, I do wish I would have gotten a different leather option. Mine is the pink vernis leather and it has stained so badly from receipts and other items. I took it in to LV to ask about the staining and they said unfortunately, that is really common with this type of leather. They told me that once the stain is made, you can’t get it out. I guess it gives it character?!
- Sunglasses: These sunglasses are by Alice & Olivia, but if you’re looking for a more affordable option I really love the brand Le Specs.
- Checkbook: This is a pouch that came with my Goyard tote and I use it as a checkbook and to hold receipts if I don’t have the budget binder on me.
This is the handbag organizer I use for my totes! There honestly isn’t a tote I have tried it in that it doesn’t fit the shape. It holds so much and the photo above is from when we were furniture shopping so I was keeping my measuring tape on me at all times. I’ll even throw in a pouch for Maxi if I’m carrying a tote and that keeps our items separate. I shared how I used it a lot a few months ago on Snapchat so I apologize if this is repetitive, but if you want to see more of it let me know! In the side pouches I keep what I would normally store in my makeup bag, then I use the center for my wallets, sunglasses and on the side pouches I carry miscellaneous pieces of paper, any cash I need and receipts. There are a lot of slits on the sides and I like that with my cash envelope system. I can put in cash in one slit for groceries and one for a beauty service. That way it doesn’t mess up my budgeting system.
How do you organize your handbags?!